Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Society of Illustrators!



This illustration was a battle. I knew I wanted to do steampunk-y airships but I wasn't sure how I was going to do so. My comp was uninteresting and was going to be incredibly difficult to pull off. And so I procrastinated. But I finally got around to making my illustration, and I'm happy with the outcome. This large scale allows the freedom of detail and intricacies, but I found that my structural lines lost their integrity at this size, since I refused to use a ruler... However, I think that overall, the image is convincing and I'm especially happy with the way the smoke turned out. I also think my suggested landscape worked fairly well, considering it's completely gestural and yet still conveys the correct imagery.

Illustration time: 5 hours
Watercolor and gouache on watercolor paper
16" x 20"

No comments:

Post a Comment