Thursday, March 19, 2009

Helvetica

2 hours after learning about the finer points of Helvetica, I felt a lot more insecure about typefaces. The importance that each person placed on the font made me think much more closely about the impact of the way text is presented.

In the movie, I saw many well-known images that I had never associated with Helvetica, but had associated with clean-cut, minimalistic design. Then looking at the design changes from the 1950s to the 1970s, even though not much more than the font changed, the entire image was affected. It was incredible how much slight subtleties can affect the viewer.

Even though the movie wasn't the most interesting, it certainly was worth watching, and I feel that I learned a lot about not only Helvetica, but type in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment