Thursday, March 4, 2010

Midterm Portfolio


Midterm Portfolio:


This was the first project we had to complete and I think it was quite successful. I had to combine line art with a watercolor wash in Photoshop. I had not had much exposure to the Lucy until this project, but I found that it was tremendously helpful, particularly in getting the facial features correct. This was a lot of fun to ink, but it drained my Micron pens, because I built up the tones in the hair (though when it was scanned, that detail was lost). I also think my watercolor was successful in accenting the line art.

This piece is my favorite piece of line art. I think it clearly resembles my shoes and shows a range of values. I am not entirely satisfied with my shadow, but the rest of the shoes turned out very well.

This piece is one of the watercolor exercises, where we had to do 10 of the same image. I think this one is my most successful sketch, because I used a layering effect for the fur and also glazing. The bleeding in the lower section was really successful as well. I was also able to evoke a sense of detail while not using much detail at all.

I like this piece, mostly because it's adorable. But I also really like the background. This was my first successful background attempt, because before, my backgrounds looked like random colors rather than an intentional background. I also think the fur is effective as well. I think the shading and the grass are also nicely accomplished.

This is my product illustration. I think it was successful, because it looks realistic enough while still maintaining the illustrated aspect. My favorite part of this piece is the shine by the toe of the shoe.



I think that the portfolio is not only a representation of my best work, but also a good sampling of the work that we have done so far. I have enjoyed this class so far. I do not like the gouache pick-out technique, but I like gouache better than watercolor, simply because it's easier to get a denser, brighter color. My favorite technique is wet-on-dry. I still love line art, simply because you have the greatest control, and yes, I am still a control freak. I had never appreciated watercoloring before, because I didn't realize the variety of things you can do with the medium, and the effects you can achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment