Friday, April 23, 2010

Newspaper Color Illustration


I had no inspiration for this image, and so I chose to do disgustingly cute anime squirrels dancing. Because of the relatively flat color and simple shapes, I thought airbrushing would work well, but I suck at airbrush, so that was a failed attempt. I then tried to use a wacom tablet to draw the image in photoshop, but it was taking too long for me get used to the drawing sensitivities, and the image was not looking too good. So I switched to watercolor and gouache, simply because I was running out of options and needed to get the project done. It turned out fairly well, but the class said that I needed a stronger tie to the article.

I scanned the image into photoshop and changed part of the line to purple and added a transparent cupola to make it more directly related to Truman.

Illustration time: 1 hour
Watercolor and gouache on watercolor paper
10.5" x 7"

No comments:

Post a Comment