Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Final Portfolio - Production

My best Illustrator example is my Winnie the Pooh graphic. For my first Disney graphics, I simply traced the outlines and made fairly static images. Yet because of the fairly small size of the images, I didn't redraw them. But then I decided that there needed to be line variation in the larger figures. So I created a black silhouette of the character and drew colored shapes over the image so that the character would have interesting line variation. It worked out well, and didn't take much more effort. I was pleased with how they turned out and thought that this was one of my best examples of that process.

The Photoshop piece is a collage of photographs that I had to rebuild for production. I took each image and rotated it to the correct angle and then placed a properly sized rectangle under each picture. I then used the warp tool to "bend" the corners of the rectangles and placed a drop shadow behind each on. Afterwards, I flattened the image and saved it as an .eps so that the piece would not show bounding boxes in the print version. This was the most I had to do in Photoshop this quarter, but it was technically challenging and I had never done anything like this before. I thought it came out successfully.

In InDesign, my final piece is my fishing spread. I made sure that everything was technically correct, and have discovered that my most common mistake is forgetting to convert images to CMYK mode. But all the photos have correct resolution and are .tifs, while the Illustrator file is an .eps. I liked the layout of this piece, and I think everything looks good overall, not to mention its technical correctness.

No comments:

Post a Comment